Thanks to Erin at DC Design Blog for keeping us up to date on design-related events in the DC area. In addition to her usual calendar, she has shared a schedule of events at Alexandria’s Torpedo Factory – a great place to meet artists and learn about their work.
Also, for local DC furniture and decor sales we certainly appreciate Aaron Able’s round up of this week’s events over at Apartment Therapy reposted here. Of particular interest is the debut of the Fenton Street Market in Silver Spring. It sounds like it will be worth a visit to peruse the work of local artisans and craftspeople.
• Kosmos Designs & Ideas Sale Up to 50% off on furniture and accessories throughout the store — specializing in furniture made from reclaimed teak.
1010 King Street, Old Town Alexandria, Virginia 22314
9/10 – 9/14:
• DC Architecture Week A celebration of the profession and the importance of architecture. Lectures, programs, tours, awards, competitions and more for the general public and members of the architectural profession to gain insight and education through fun activities and events organized by AIA | DC.
Details & schedule of events.
9/10 – 9/21
• Fenton Street Market Debut This new market will showcase local craftspeople, artists, vintage/antique dealers, musicians, and others with interesting wares or services. Saturday mornings at the corner of Fenton Street and Silver Spring Avenue in downtown Silver Spring, Maryland. Booths are still available for $15.
9/12 & 10/3: 9am – 2pm
• Find-A-Designer Day This event gives consumers the perfect opportunity to meet with designers from The Washington Design Center’s Find-A-Designer Program and purchase to-the-trade items with its Consumer Buying Service Representatives. Guests at The Washington Design Center’s Find-A-Designer Consumer Day can receive a free 30-minute consultation with one of 20 designers, including Samantha Friedman, Lorna Gross, and Camille Saum.
The Washington Design Center | 300 D St., SW Washington, DC 20024
Thursday, 9/10: 10am – 2pm
• GSelect Sale 10% entire (online) store sale of carefully picked home decor items.
• Contemporaria Sample Sale
3303 Cady’s Alley NW Washington, DC 20007
9/5 – 9/14
• Baker, Milling Road & McGuire Sale Select furniture, accessories and lighting on sale.
The Washington Design Center 300 D Street, SW Suite 709 Washington, DC 20024
Baker Georgetown 3330 M Street NW Washington, DC 20007-3513
8/21 – 10/19
• Gaylord’s Lamps & Shades Moving Sale Save up to 70% on lampshades, table lamps and floor lamps. All antiques are half off, and all chandeliers are 30% off regular price.
4620 Leland Street, Chevy Chase, Maryland
• Smith & Hawken Liquidation Sale The website/catalog is shut down and the company is liquidating all their inventory directly from their 56 stores in 22 states and Washington, D.C.
• The Community Forklift Free Fridays The Community Forklift is a nonprofit thrift store for building materials, located 5 min. from the NE DC line. We have a “Free Friday” each week. Everything in Aisle One is Free on Fridays, (and $5 or less the rest of the week). Right now we have a bunch of doors and carpet tiles in the free section, as well as samples from an architecture firm library (all sorts of little scraps for crafting).
4671 Tanglewood Drive, Hyattsville, Maryland 20781
Every Friday, 9-5
• Georgetown Birdcage Sale Enormous store-wide, new and vintage furniture and accessories sale held in conjunction with Georgetown Birdcage’s 1st Annual Jewelry Extravaganza Party, a multi-designer jewelry trunk show event going on all day both in-store and extending into our back courtyard.
1671 Wisconsin Avenue, NW Washington, DC
9/19: 11am – 9pm